How Learning data supports personalized learning
We aren't really personalizing learning. Not like we could be.
Personalizing learning and similar predictive technologies is fueled by data-- lots of data. Ney I say, big data. There are three important steps in reaching the potential held by personalized learning:
- Collecting data about the entire learning experience
- Sorting through the data to spot trends, finding instances of where things could be done better, and building models on which school districts could learn from
- Sharing insights with teachers and other stakeholders based on data.
It sounds simple and straightforward, but these three steps can be very difficult.
But, nevermind the painstaking nature of it all. With this technology, we could empower entire new learning models that may yield great benefits to learners (and teachers).
All this to say, with a Learning Record Store (LRS) that is powered by a new learning specification called Experience API, we can gather a great deal more data to fuel interesting concepts like personalized learning. So exciting when you think about it!
This means that educators will now have a much better understanding of their learners in real time. An LRS powered by the Experience API or IMS Caliper learning specifications allows administrators and stakeholders to capture what students do outside of the learning enviornment.
- They will be able to find out how students collaborate with one another and where.
- They can better understand how each learner prefers to learn. Be it viewing Geometry walkthrough videos on Khan Academy or reading through some eBooks on the French Revolution.
- They can identify the level of engagement of each learner, to see what types of course content are effective
- They can spot at-risk students and provide appropriate assistance at the right time
There are more ways, surely, but just taking those examples above it's not a stretch to see how a teacher or administrator could craft a learning path for an indiviudal learner that:
- Gives the learner resources and assignments that foster collaboration with their peers
- Curates content that engages the learner at their level of competancy
- Students are provided help in real time. Not at the end of the semester when it's too late. In other words, actually eliminating the achivement gap.
Learn more about how an LRS and Experience API helps you to personalize your learners experience.